Another wild bout between Germany and the U.K. at the 2017 WSOP. This time, the Brits prevailed and denied Germany another win. British pro Elior Sion picked off Johannes Becker heads-up to win the 2017 $50,000 Poker Players Championship. Sion prevented Daniel Negreanu from winning his 7th bracelet. Sion locked up a booty worth $1.4 million... plus bragging rights.
Event #62 $50,000 Poker Players Championship (6-Handed) - Final Results
Tough break for Kid Poker.
Going into the 2017 WSOP, Daniel Negreanu intended on winning multiple bracelets. After four plus weeks of action and the Main Event just around the corner, Negreanu had won zero bracelets this summer. He got close a couple of times, but he never went into the final six with the chip lead like he did for the fifth and final day of the 50K PPC.
Alas, Negreanu went card dead and couldn't get anything going at the final table. He eventually busted in a disappointing fifth place. Kid Poker will have to wait another time to win #7. Paul Volpe busted first at the final table when he bowed out in sixth place.
The two slugged it out for five hours before Becker fell to the wayside. Sion won the tournament, and the bling, and the cash, and of course... the coveted Chip Reese Memorial Trophy.
2017 WSOP - Event #62 $50,000 Poker Players Championship
Previous 50K PPC Champions
- 2006 Chip Reese $1,716,000
- 2007 Freddy Deeb $2,276,832
- 2008 Scotty Nguyen $1,989,120
- 2009 David Bach $1,276,806
- 2010 Michael Mizrachi $1,559,046
- 2011 Brian Rast$1,720,328
- 2012 Michael Mizrachi $1,451,527
- 2013 Matthew Ashton $1,774,089
- 2014 John Hennigan $1,517,767
- 2015 Mike Gorodinsky $1,270,086
- 2016 Brian Rast$1,296,097
- 2017 Elior Sion $1,395,767