You have to start somewhere. PokerStars is introducing a special tournament series that starts on Sunday. The Common Cents series returns. This series is comprised of 23 tournaments where all buy-ins are less than a buck, of not pennies. The most expensive buy-in is a whopping $0.99. This series is designed to give new players and beginners a chance at experiencing a multi-day series.
Hey, even if you took it on the chin and went busto... that's nothing to be ashamed about. Then Common Cents might be the best way to get back on the horse. Heck, the best players in the world all have sad stories about going busto multiple times. Success in poker (and life) depends on how you respond to losing your bankroll. Here's the perfect opportunity to get back in the game and grind your roll back up.
You can play the entire series for $12.77. Yeah for the price of a couple cups of coffee or a pitcher of beer, you have a chance to play 23 micro-buy-in tournaments.
For just a penny you can take a shot in the opening kickoff event that has a total guaranteed prize pool worth $100,000. You don't have to be a math whiz to know that there's gonna be a sick overlay for the opening event.
I guess you could call the $0.99 event the "High Roller" in this series. There's five buy-ins in that exact range in formats that includes NL, PKO, Win the Button, Knockout, and the Main Event Championship.
The Main Event begins on Sunday, July 1 at 14:05pm. The buy-in is only $0.99 and there's a $25K guaranteed prize pool.
And the suits at PokerStars HQ are feeling a little generous. The promos quad is throwing a Platinum Pass into the mix to sweeten this micro-series. If you can win the All-in Shootout on July 2, then you will walk away with a nifty Platinum Pass, which is valued at $30K and contains a free seat into the $25K PSPC in the Bahamas during the 2019 PCA.
Here's the straight dope according to PokerStars, "Got a little more spare change? Opt-in then play four Common Cents events this year and you'll be automatically entered into an All-in Shootout, July 2 at 13:47 ET, where one player will win a Platinum Pass worth $30,000! These are the hottest tickets in poker, granting entry to the $25,000 PokerStars Players NL Hold'em Championship in January 2019. On top of your buy-in, you'll also win accommodation and travel expenses to The Bahamas, where the tournament is taking place."
2018 Common Cents Schedule
- 24-Jun @14:05 Event #01: $0.01 Kickoff, $100K Gtd
- 24-Jun @16:05 Event #02: $0.22 NLHE [6-Max, PKO, Turbo]
- 25-Jun @11:05 Event #03: $0.33 PLO [3-Stack]
- 25-Jun @14:05 Event #04: $0.99 NLHE [8-Max, PKO, Win the Button]
- 25-Jun @16:05 Event #05: $0.44 NLHE [4-Max, Turbo]
- 26-Jun @11:05 Event #06: $0.55+R NLHE [Bubble Rush]
- 26-Jun @14:05 Event #07: $0.99 NLHE
- 26-Jun @16:05 Event #08: $0.66 NLHE [6-Max, Hyper-Turbo, PKO]
- 27-Jun @11:05 Event #09: $0.77 NLHE [6-Max, 75% PKO]
- 27-Jun @14:05 Event #10: $0.88 NLHE [8-Max]
- 27-Jun @16:05 Event #11: $0.11 NLHE [Turbo, Single Rebuy]
- 28-Jun @11:05 Event #12: $0.11+R NLO8 [Hyper-Active]
- 28-Jun @14:05 Event #13: $0.99 NLHE [PKO]
- 28-Jun @16:05 Event #14: $0.22 NLHE [Progressive Total KO, Zoom]
- 29-Jun @11:05 Event #15: $0.33 NLHE [3-Max, 3-Stack, Hyper-Turbo, Win the Button]
- 29-Jun @14:05 Event #16: $0.22+R NLHE [8-Max]
- 29-Jun @16:05 Event #17: $0.55 5-Card Omaha [Turbo, PKO]
- 30-Jun @11:05 Event #18: $0.66 NLHE [6-Max]
- 30-Jun @14:05 Event #19: $0.99 NLHE [Knockout]
- 30-Jun @16:05 Event #20: $0.77 NLHE [7-Max, Hyper-Turbo, Total KO, Zoom]
- 01-Jul @11:05 Event #21: $0.88 NLHE [8-Max, PKO]
- 01-Jul @14:05 Event #22: $0.99 NLHE [Main Event]
- 01-Jul @16:05 Event #23: $0.11 Wrap-Up Turbo [8-Max, Turbo, PKO]
A couple years ago in October 2015, PokerStars set the Guinness World Record for largest online tournament. They hosted a NL affair that had only a buy-in of $0.01. A total of 253,692 players took part in that historic day. DaDumon (Austria) shipped that special event and won $10,000.
For more info on Common Cents, head over to PokerStars Blog.