Love him or hate him, Donald Trump's casino in Atlantic Cinty, New Jersey was an important character in the cult-classic film Rounders. The Taj Mahal scenes involving Mike McD and Worm were pivotal for plot and character development in Rounders. For many years, Trump's casino hosted one of the biggest poker tournaments on the East Coast called the U.S. Poker Championships. In some classic vintage TV footage from the early 2000s, the front-running Republican candidate for President of the United States, Donald Trump, shares his limited poker acumen.
Sincere hat tip to Steve Ruddock for pointing out this epic video compilation of Trump bestowing numerous pearls of wisdom upon his loyal subjects. Five minutes of nonstop Trump in an era before he got really outrageous! You can definitely feel the smugness and arrogance. In the end, what's better that getting free advice from a millionaire rogue candidate for President of the U.S.?
Trump shared some Zen-like gems like…
- “Poker is a challenge. Business is a challenge. If you are a competitor and think in terms of challenge, you will be more successful.”
- “Go with the gut. Some of my best decisions are made that way.”
- “I always want to learn from the past, but really, concentrate on the present because if you do well in the present, your foundation for the future will be much stronger
- “When someone challenges you, fight back! Don't be a sucker. Fight back 10 times harder. Guess what, they'll never play games with you again!”
- “Sometimes in life you have to take risks. When you take those risks and it works, that's called… the big payday!”
My life has been a big poker game, and it's come out nicely.
Here's the video...